Speech Pathology Services
What is Speech Pathology/Speech Therapy?
Speech pathology, speech therapy and speech language pathology all refer to the same field of practice. Speech Pathologists complete a 4 year Bachelor of Science (Speech Pathology) or 2 year Masters degree. Speech Pathologists provide assessment, therapy and management from newborn babies right to the later stages of life. At Smart Talk Speech Pathology, we focus on children from the age of 1 to 18 years. We work in the areas of language, speech, literacy, social skills, stuttering, mealtime management and orofacial myology.
Smart Talk Speech Pathology provides speech therapy in the following areas. Please click on these areas for more information.
- Language: understanding and expression
- Speech: articulation, phonology, motor planning/Childhood Apraxia of Speech
- Literacy: phonological awareness, reading, writing and spelling
- Social communication: greetings, making friends, social interactions etc.
- Orofacial Myology: tongue thrust, thumb, finger and dummy sucking, biting habits, open mouth resting posture, mouth breathing, tongue tie, asymmetrical lip/facial features and incorrect tongue rest position
- Stuttering: a condition that affects the rhythm or flow of speech
- Swallowing and Mealtime Management: swallowing is a reflex that is essential to lif
- Thumb Sucking Program: to help children cease the thumb sucking habit and encourage optimal facial and orthodontic growth